Marketing is a process that takes time, patience, and an understanding of marketing fundamentals. The marketing process can be difficult to manage effectively when you are not familiar with its steps. This blog post will provide six marketing process steps that take the guesswork out of marketing for your business.
1. Define your marketing goals.
First, define your marketing goals. Your marketing goals will be the foundation for your entire marketing process. The most effective way to define your marketing goals is by using SMART goal setting strategies:
– Specific – Your objectives should have a clear, specific focus so that you know what success looks like and can set yourself up for success from the start.
– Measurable – You need to be able to measure your marketing efforts so that you know whether or not they are working for you.
– Achievable – Your goals should push yourself and your team, but they also have to be achievable. If the goal is too big it will seem unachievable and disengage employees who feel like giving up even before they start.
– Relevant – Your goals need to be relevant in order for you to make the most of your marketing efforts. If it isn’t important, valuable or useful then there is no point in spending time on it because any progress made will not have a big impact.
– Timely – Every goal needs to have a time limit for completion. Without deadlines, goals can slip through the cracks and marketing efforts lose momentum.
2. Brainstorm ideas for reaching those goals
Once you know what your marketing goals are, it’s time to brainstorm ideas for reaching those goals. Brainstorming is an effective way of generating a long list of potential solutions without narrowing yourself down too quickly and missing out on better opportunities that might be hidden among less obvious choices.
To get the brainstorm started, ask these three key questions:
– What can we do to make our product or service stand out?
– How will the market receive this idea/solution?
– Are there new marketing trends that are effective and might apply to our business model?
Once you have a good list of ideas, prioritize them by choosing your top three options.
Get Your FREE Digital Marketing eBook
Our free ebook will show you how to dominate your niche and be top of mind with customers.
The Digital Marketing Secrets You Need to Know
25 Digital Marketing Tricks and Techniques to Grow Your Business
3. Create a plan to execute the ideas you brainstormed
Once you have your top three marketing ideas, it’s time to start planning how you will execute them. A good plan should include the following five steps:
– How many resources do we need?
– What are those resources and where can they be found?
– Who is responsible for what task/activity?
– What is the timeline?
– What resources do we need to complete this activity/task?
If you can answer these five questions, then you have a plan that will be executed successfully. As your marketing goals change over time, so should your marketing plans – which means it’s important for everyone on your team to understand how their marketing activities contribute to your overall marketing process.
4. Evaluate how well your plan worked and adjust accordingly
Once you start executing your plan, it is important to monitor how well each marketing activity works. If one of the activities doesn’t work as intended then don’t continue with that same marketing approach in the future – try something else instead.
Use this information to refine your plan so that the next time you execute it better results will be achieved.
Marketing is an ongoing process that requires you to continuously monitor your results and make adjustments accordingly. Your marketing goals might change over time, but the idea behind them – whether it’s increasing revenue or improving brand awareness – should remain the same throughout all of your activities.
This means that every activity in your campaign should be aimed at achieving one of your marketing goals.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 as needed
Marketing is a process that never ends. You should always be looking for new ways to improve your marketing results and make more progress towards achieving your goals.
If you don’t see any improvement in sales, customers or brand awareness after making the appropriate adjustments to your plan then it might be time to re-evaluate what you are doing and try something new.
As you can see, following these five steps will make your marketing efforts more effective:
– Set clear goals for yourself and your team members;
– Brainstorm lots of ideas;
– Create a plan to execute those ideas;
– Evaluate how well the plan works and adjust accordingly
6. Measure your progress with analytics tools, surveys, or interviews with customers
Once you have completed your marketing activities, it is a good idea to measure their impact on sales and customer perception.
Many tools can help you do this: Google Analytics, social listening software, etc. If neither of these tools fit the bill then try asking customers directly what they think about your business’s products or services.
These are just a few of the many marketing process steps that you can follow to improve your overall marketing efforts – and increase sales as well!
Marketing is an ongoing process that requires continuous monitoring, brainstorming ideas, creating plans to execute those ideas with goals in mind, and evaluating how well the plan works, and adjusting accordingly.
Get your marketing strategy right. The first time.
If you need to advance your marketing strategy quickly, send me a message. I’ll make sure you have a complete picture of your marketing. We’ll build the right strategy – and keep running it so it works for your business, not against it!