Where are you? Where are you going? Why are you going there and not somewhere else? While some of these are questions that you and you alone can answer, having input from others who have been there before can be incredibly valuable. Finding a great mentor allows you to benefit from the experience and knowledge of someone else. Why should you start searching for the right advisor?
Why Finding a Great Mentor Is Essential to Your Career Path
- Goal-Setting: When you are the only one setting goals for yourself, it can be hard to stay motivated and easy to lose sight of where you’re headed. Finding a great mentor can be like finding a fantastic project manager, as they will help you to set goals that are sustainable and adjust them as you go along.
- Motivation: A mentor is a fantastic motivational tool, whether they are encouraging you directly or you are motivating yourself by looking at their career and results. Even people who are very self-motivated and driven can benefit from a third party helping to cheer and encourage them along.
- Get Past Stumbling Blocks: When you come up against a brick wall do you stop in your tracks or start finding a way to climb it? Finding a great mentor can equip you with the tools to overcome obstacles in your career path and find creative ways to still reach your goals in the face of adversity.
- Wisdom: You can gain plenty of knowledge in school, but one thing that you cannot learn is wisdom. Wisdom comes from experience and having been through challenges and unique situations before. Finding a great mentor gives you the added benefit of wisdom when making decisions throughout your career path.
- Unbiased Opinions: Do you get frustrated when asking friends and family advice about your career path only to receive biased answers? A mentor is a third party, so they can give you objective advice when you need it. They also might have thoughts and ideas that people in your life are not necessarily aware of, which you should consider when making decisions.
Get Help Finding a Great Mentor from Benjamin Preston
Benjamin Preston works with young professionals and anyone craving a fulfilling career path through coaching, training, career mapping and workshops. Benjamin believes that we all have the ability to live purposeful lives today, and that we don’t need to keep putting off the career and life that we have always dreamed of. To learn more about his services for business and individuals, visit his website here.